Monday, September 08, 2008

Gluten-Free Breakfast the easy way


Although I love Homemade Gluten-Free BlueBerry Buckwheat Teff Waffles, and Buttermilk Millet Gluten-Free Waffles, and my Gluten-Free Diet Pancakes for breakfast, I also sometimes just have a taste for something quick and easy to make that delivers a bit more protein into the diet and incorporates some fresh vegetables and herbs at the same time.

Today's "gluten-free recipe" (so simple I hardly call it a recipe), is one of my favorite quick to prepare breakfasts that is nothing more than scrambled eggs with some fresh produce from our garden: cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, and thyme. I think it takes me more time to walk outside to the garden and collect the ingredients than it does to actually cook the eggs :)


I like how colorful the end result is, and how the tomatoes and herbs bring a bit something extra to the recipe (over basic scrambled eggs). I'll vary the type of vegetables I add... sometimes onions and garlic, and other times some fresh cubed zuchini or white squash too. Recipe variations are rather easy to come by. And, this is certainly a recipe is has a low glycemic index, making it suitable for diabetics or blood-sugar concerns too.

I don't concern myself with the cholesterol in the eggs either, as I eat so little in the way of cholesterol containing foods otherwise, it just isn't going to make any difference in my gluten-free diet.

The garden produces everything I need except for the eggs, and though I wouldn't mind raising some chickens for the eggs, our city has ordinances in place where we have to get written "approval" from our surrounding neighbors, and I don't want to deal with that particularly. Hmmm... maybe an Ostrich would be a neat way to get some eggs? :) Actually, I see those giant eggs at Whole Foods (for something like $20!!), and can't help wondering what they taste like. But, that is a bit out of scope for now, and I will stick to my simple chicken eggs and garden vegetables.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

it would be totally neat to have a chicken.

you make me want one now!
the name? henrietta!