Saturday, September 20, 2008

Gluten-Free Recipe: Quinoa Meatloaf

Gluten-Free Quinoa Meatloaf
Gluten-Free Quinoa Meatloaf
Gluten-Free Quinoa Meatloaf Recipe: A delicious, moist, and health-oriented Meatloaf variation using Ground Turkey and Quinoa and other gluten-free diet favorites to lower-fat, increase fiber, and maximize flavor! This recipe my wife created a while back produces my favorite meat loaf ever! It is wheat-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free, and transforms the traditional meatloaf recipe into one that yields fulfilling meal, perhaps even for those people who do not ordinarily care for meat loaf - all while also preserving the essence of what a meat loaf is all about.

I have always loved a great meatloaf, but did not have the occasion to enjoy a great one since starting a gluten-free diet, simply because of the fact most traditional meat loaf recipes rely on bread or breadcrumbs as fillers. To accommodate Celiac Disease diet requirements, as well as satisfy my own love of a great meatloaf, my wife created this wonderful wheat-free glutenfree version of meatloaf using quinoa instead of bread. I already absolutely love quinoa, and the result is an amazingly moist and delicious meatloaf that is significantly lower in fat and calories than a traditional meatloaf.

It also adds a bit of extra inventiveness in the form of health-friendly fiber via either Inulin (i.e., ground chicory root), or Benefiber (brand) dietary aid. I wanted to point out here that although Benefiber is wheat-dextrin, it is labeled Gluten-Free and considered Gluten-Free because wheat-dextrin does not contain any of the gluten-proteins that are at the source of reaction-problems for people with Celiac Disease. If you feel more comfortable choosing a filler that is not a wheat-derivative in any way, go with the Inulin, or perhaps omit completely if you desire.

The recipe is versatile too. Instead of forming the combined ingredients into a meat loaf, you can just as easily create hamburgers using the same recipe and topping (pan fried on the stove). My wife has tested the recipe on a wide range of people that have been absolutely amazed at how delicious and moist and flavorful meatloaf can be, and at how healthy it can be at the same time. I certainly appreciate it when a recipe is both delicious AND more healthy! And, at the advice of some people, this recipe has been entered into baking contests to show even more people how incredible a gluten-free meatloaf can be, whether they are are gluten-free / Celiac or not. It's always good to make recipes available that are friendly to everyone's diet (well, perhaps not for the vegetarians this time around, but for most everyone else).

Here is another LINK TO THE RECIPE over on our free gluten-free recipes library site: Gluten-Free Wheat-Free Meatloaf Recipe using Quinoa and Ground Turkey.

Enjoy! And, feel free to let us know what you think of this interpretation of "meatloaf" and how it compares to the ones you otherwise are used to or remember in your pre-gluten-free / Celiac days. Thanks.

Sorry my picture is not the best, as I think I chose a plate color that somewhat blends in with the meatloaf. But, you can see the texture of the loaf and the little quinoa grains in there if you look closely :)

12 comments:

jill elise said...

Mike, this looks great! I'll have to try quinoa in my meatloaf, I usually just use gf breadcrumbs. I keep a loaf of crappy store-bought gf bread around for making into bread crumbs. Mmm, I'll have to try it!

Lynn Barry said...

Sounds like a winner! Good for you! I know what you mean, nothing says COMFORT quite like a plate of meatloaf. Take care, friend.

Li loves David said...

Meatloaf burgers! What a great idea! ~Li

Mike Eberhart said...

Thanks everyone... hope you have a chance to try the recipe, or a variation of it that contains your favorite flavors and all. Enjoy!

Mike Eberhart said...

geoffry,
Thanks, and I am glad you like the blog. And, though I have decent insight into Celiac Disease, I lack mind-reading skills and have no idea what your Email address is. :)

So, sure, feature my blog, but if you want to discuss anything first, just leave another comment here with your Email address (which I will not post). Thanks. m

Unknown said...

Hey Mike, I just tried Quinoa for the first time last week and I am very excited to start eating it and using it for recipes. This one sounds great and I can't wait to try it.

Mike Eberhart said...

Erin,
Glad to hear you have discovered quinoa. It is a fabulous grain, even for non-Celiac settings. I have seen it showing up in places like Cooking Light and other foodie magazines too. I find it much preferred to rice for quite a few things too... like, in stuffed-peppers or in combo with some Asian sauces and vegetables. Enjoy, and best wishes with the meatloaf. m

~M said...

Have you ever made meatloaf using chia as the fiber and/or binding component? I like quinoa, but find that the flakes have a strong flavor. Thanks!

Mike Eberhart said...

~m,
Yes indeed - we have used Chia in all sorts of things. You are so right about it being a great binder; search my blog here for Chia, and you will see how we use it in breads, drinks, and other things too. Thanks for comments.

~M said...

Are you using quinoa (the whole grain) or quinoa flakes (like oatmeal or cereal)? I was confused before.

Also, Heinz organic ketchup is not gf (at least not the US formula) according to their website: http://www.heinz.com/health--wellness/focus-foods/dietary-preferences/gluten-free.aspx

The regular Heinz ketchup is gf.

Mike Eberhart said...

~M, a the recipe states, we are using cooked whole grain quinoa (not flakes). Per the directions, you cook it first: "Place Quinoa, vegetable broth and vinegar in medium sauce pan. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed (approximately 15 to 20 minutes). Set aside and allow cooked Quinoa to cool."

Enjoy! m

Anonymous said...

Mike, this is the best meatloaf ever! Kudos to your wife. I have made this and my neighbors even sampled it and they LOVED it!! Thank you so much for your recipes and blog. I am new to all of this and treating my rheumatoid arthritis with a gluten-free, dairy-free diet and have had remarkable results. Thanks again!:) Mary