I decided to use a recipe that had previously been posted here on the Gluten-Free Blog and "make it my own" with some quick modifications that suit my tastes. I started by reading the blog post about Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffed Poblanos (link to blog post) and then I turned my attention to the recipe I was to start with — it is online here: GF and vegetarian Recipe: Quinoa and Smoked-Gouda stuffed Poblano Peppers (link).
My Gluten-Free Recipe AlterationsI decided to spice things up a bit with some simple changes to the gluten-free ingredients list. My variations from the original recipe — all with regards to the quinoa pepper-stuffing ingredients:
- Used smoked paprika, chipotle seasoning, salt and pepper for spices
- Used mix of smoked Gouda and reduced fat sharp cheddar for cheeses
- Added chopped cilantro
- Added 1 chopped jalapeño
- Added some chopped red onion and fresh garlic
- Added black beans (from a can)
- Added 1 can Rotell (hot) tomatoes
It is always nice to have adaptable recipes at your disposal that lend themselves to simple variations that you can make "your own" very quickly. I'm a huge fan of quinoa also, and these recipes are a great way to put quinoa to use in your diet in a taste-infused way.