Friday, April 16, 2010

Gluten-Free Recipe :Thin-Crust Pizza Crust Recipe


Gluten-Free Thin Crust Pizza
Gluten-Free Thin Crust Pizza
I so enjoy a great pizza! And, a nice crispy, crunchy gluten-free thin-crust pizza is a very welcome treat for me. My wife spent time this winter perfecting a wheat-free / gluten-free thin-crust pizza that is gum-free but yet strong enough to "hold up" when you pick up a piece of pizza loaded with your favorite toppings. And, here is the result: a crust that meets all of those goals and is now one of my favorite lunch or dinner gluten-free diet selections.

This recipe produces a considerably thinner, crispier, and crunchier crust than the traditional thick-crust gluten-free pizza crust recipe we posted a while back here on this blog (or, via this direct-link to the recipe on our recipe-library site: gluten-free pizza-crust recipe). Each recipe has its own merits depending on what type of pizza you like most.

The thicker crust pizza crust recipe is a yeast-leavened variety, where this thin-crust recipe uses yeast just for flavoring. As such, the thicker crust version can be a bit more work to create (and, the thick-crust version uses Xanthan gum as well -- which to this date bothers my stomach something fierce if I eat more than a small bit at a time). So, the thin-crust that is gum-free (using whey-protein as a wonderful gluten-replacement binder instead) is an easy winner for me.

This thin-crust recipe is designed specifically for cast-iron pans (which I highly recommend, and have written about before on the Gluten-Free Blog: the advantages of cast-iron pans). Cast-iron makes for excellent predictability on the stove-top and oven, plus it is amazingly easy to clean a well-seasoned cast iron pan.

Gluten-Free Pizza : Cast Iron Pan baking
Gluten-Free Pizza : Cast Iron Pan baking


Here's a picture showing the under-side of the crust... that nice golden-brown color leads to a wonderful crisp, crunchy, and firm base for your favorite toppings.

Gluten-Free Pizza : Cast Iron Pan : golden brown
Gluten-Free Pizza : Cast Iron Pan 


In case you missed the link in the first paragraph, here is a LINK TO THIS DELICIOUS GLUTEN-FREE THIN-CRUST PIZZA-CRUST RECIPE.

No matter how long you have been on a Celiac-disease-safe gluten-free diet, chances are that pizza may be one of those often-missed foods for you. So many people I meet with Celiac Disease (or otherwise avoiding gluten) ask about how to make a great pizza-crust that they can create without too much problem. Many have tried pre-made store-bought frozen types and have expressed their disappointment in the results, which leads them to the next step : baking a nice gluten-free pizza from scratch (it is quite possibly the best way to ensure a great pizza!) So, here is another recipe option for your gluten-free diet that we hope helps you make a great GF Pizza on your own and without too much trouble.

And, for those of you with gluten-intolerance that are tempted to consume gluten-containing pizza (and occasionally give-in to that temptation), I really hope this type of recipe helps you remain on a strict gluten-free diet and avoid the negative consequences associated with consuming gluten.

Happy pizza-baking and eating everyone!


Continue to read this Gluten-Free Blog for all sorts of gluten-free recipes, product-reviews, and related information. In addition, visit my Gluten-Free Recipes Site where many of the recipes I have featured on this blog are available.

13 comments:

iampalegreen said...

Wow! That looks perfect! I'll have to try it out sometime...thanks for posting!

Rebecca said...

Your pizza looks SOOOO delicious! I am definitely going to have to try that recipe! I just want to share, having food allergies and sensitivities myself, that I work for a company called Casa Oliver (www.casaoliver.com) who specializes in natural, organic, and gluten-free food items... mainly from Spain. They are wonderful! And we recently started carrying Peruvian, gluten-free flours, which are not only beneficial for your health but delicious! They come in many different flavors, are reasonably priced, and add the perfect texture and taste to your gluten-free baking. Please feel free to check us out! :-)

3 Peanuts said...

Thank you. it looks delicious and I cannot wait to try it:)

Curt @ Reverse Lookup said...

I am new to this gluten free lifestyle. You have some great recipes on this site. I can't wait to make this pizza. Looks delicious.

Serena said...

This pizza looks soo mouth-watering!!!

Susan said...

This looks very good. I wonder, do you think it would work with a gluten free flour mixture? I'm new to cooking this way and I'm not sure I have all those different flours you suggested available to me. Do you buy them from an online store?
Thanks

Mike Eberhart said...

Susan,
In short: no. Like all of our recipes, each is tailored specifically and custom for the best results. Though many persons like the whole "flour mixture" approach for simplicity sake, in practice and through many 100's of recipes and experience, it is best to individually work on a recipe until the ingredient mix is best for *that* recipe. That is what *we* always do. You can certainly try a flour-mix, but you will likely end up fine-tuning things regardless. Best wishes. m

Allie said...

I just got a cast iron pan! I will have to give this a try.

Those pictures just made my stomach GROWL!

thanks

Dany said...

Looking very delicious! I love pizza and this gluten free thin-crust pizza recipe of your is perfect. I am going to give it a try so that I can enjoy a good time watching my favorite movie and eating a very delicious home made gluten free pizza.

Susan said...

Thank you for your hints. I did try a whole mixture gluten free mix and it wasn't as good as I hoped. I guess I should stick to what the experts say :)

Thank you again

Libby said...

Is the dough for this like a batter or like a dough? The reason I ask is that I have a cast iron pizza stone, but it doesn't have a "lip" that would contain something that could spill over.

Your thin crust pizza looks wonderful!

Mike Eberhart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Eberhart said...

Libby,
I believe this recipe forms a thin enough formula that it may be considered a batter. We have another few recipes on our recipe-library that are definitely doughs, including another thin-crust recipe (we have thick-crust pizza recipes also). See here: http://www.gluten-free-desserts.com/recipes.aspx -- just search the page for "pizza" and you will find them.