Thursday, December 03, 2009

Gluten Warning: Delight GF Magazine Holiday Issue, page 54,Texas Bean Soup In A Jar Recipe.

Hey everyone, I do not know if any of you readers subscribe to Delight Gluten-Free Magazine, but if you do, watch out for a problem with the recipe printed on page 54, caled "Texas Bean Soup In A Jar". The recipe (accidentally) calls for barley pearls / pearl barley.

Now, I have not seen this issue personally, but a gluten-free friend of the family that did see it sent me an Email asking me to inform people to be mindful of the fact that barley does contain gluten and that the magazine is *wrong*. All of us longer-term Celiac and gluten-free diet types may well know this, but just in case anyone less familiar with the limitations of the diet decides to cook the soup for themselves or for another person that must remain gluten-free, it could lead to a less than optimal holiday season.

Our friend Sande contacted the magazine, and the following is the exact message she received back from Vanessa Maltin, the Food and Lifestyle Editor, who also said to feel free to share this information.
"I know---it happened because a designer added in her own recipe after the article content had gone through proofing. She has been terminated from the Delight Staff. Julie is putting together a blast to send out to all subscribers notifying people about it and will be posting it on the website. " (Julie is Julie Ann Luse, the Editor in Chief)
Hopefully none of you readers has accidentally included the forbidden Barley in any gluten-free soups or other recipes because of this. This type of situation just reinforces what I tell everyone: always be well informed, know your gluten-free diet constraints well, and proceed with caution (the latter part being more targeted to gluten-free foods and ingredients purchases; but, I guess it also applies to taking recipes for face-value too).

Thanks for the heads-up Sande!

7 comments:

iampalegreen said...

I saw that too. I also didn't like the recipe for the cheesecake that calls for OREO cookies and tells them the recipe to follow. The recipe for their "oreo" cookies is several pages on. Despite issue with trademarks (why they couldn't list "chocolate sandwich cookie" I don't know) it is confusing. :(

Lynn said...

I was not familiar with this magazine, I'll have to check it out. I do miss barley. I used to make a "depression day soup". The recipe was in the Daily News newspaper. It called for chop meat and veggies in addition to the barley and everyone I made it for loved it (GF diet or not). Of course, I still make good soups-minus barley.

1artsychick said...

This is horrible. I've loved the first few issues of this magazine, I can't believe they would make such unbelievable mistakes. This could really break the magazine, they haven't been around long enough to make such huge mistakes.

Ellen said...

It was a dissappointing mistake, but it sounds like it was from a "rogue" person who has been fired. I really enjoy the magazine because it has so many recipes and shares really good tips.

Craid @ tech camp said...

Thanks for the warning. I did not know about this magazine. But it sounds like a good resource. My condition is not serious enough to that I have to 100% avoid gluten, I do see a lot of benefit when I eliminate it as much as possible. I am new to the gluten free thing and any help is welcome. :)

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

Good to know, I have the issue but I haven't read it all yet. Yikes.

Krista said...

It's amazing that someone writing recipes for a gluten-free magazine wouldn't know that barley is a no-no. Hopefully anyone who subscribes will know better and just disregard or modify the recipe.