Tuesday, September 19, 2006

First attempt at gluten-free multi-grain bread


Gluten-Free MultiGrain Bread

Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread Recipe Development

NOTE: Recipe Link to final, updated and improved bread at bottom of this article.

I have not focused much on recipes on this gluten free blog yet, but I intend to start addressing particular recipes as they come up.

Yesterday my wife made her first gluten free and wheat-free "multi-grain" bread, and I thought it was fairly good. It was a soda-bread type recipe that used Flax,
Quinoa flour, Sorghum, and Rice Flours for the main ingredients. It was simple to make and it was baked in a round 2-quart pyrex (oven safe) glass dish. It used some caraway seed (like rye bread uses for flavor) plus sesame seeds and a bit of honey on top.

Now that a day has passed, I can revise my original opinion of the bread. I found it to be just fine, and it was very good the first day. It has a bit too much flavor for a general sandwich bread, and did not hold up well enough for sandwiches anyhow. The texture was a bit more like a cornbread, which is fine for along with dinner and other foods, but not something I want to put peanut butter on. But, by day two, it was drying out and getting a bit crumbly. I do not know how much of this is attributable to the gluten free nature of the bread, since I have (in pre-GF days) had fresh Italian bread or similar get all dried out overnight too (especially when the air conditioner is on and humidity in house is low). Trust me: I am still eating the bread since I like the taste. But, I wish it would hold up better. We did not use any gums in this bread, but perhaps next time I will actually give it a try.

The bread did look rather nice at least! I took the above picture when it had just cooled after coming out of the over a couple hours prior. We will likely try making improvements to this gluten-free multi-grain bread recipe yet,... 


The Final Recipe emerged...

UPDATE: which we did, and the wonderful Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free Artisan-Style Multi-Grain Bread Recipe is now online at that link, along with a nicely-formatted PDF version of the Gluten-Free Artisan Bread recipe too.
This is what it turned out looking like:

The Wonderful Artisan-Style Multigrain Gluten-Free Bread
Continue to read this Gluten-Free Blog for all sorts of gluten-free recipes, product-reviews, and related information. In addition, visit my Gluten-Free Recipes Site where many of the recipes I have featured on this blog are available.

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

Good for you!The bread looks yummy in the pic but I know what you mean. I have had little luck with breads. I bought the Buckwheat Pete book via his site and love the pitas but have had little success trying the other variations he has included. He begins everything with buckwheat and/or rice flour and tapioca flour, using the latter as his elasticity.
I have had better luck adding xantha gum to what I make. It does seem to keep it together better.
I mainly stick to flatbreads for my bread product and adapt them for pancakes and hamburger buns. I can at least enjoy the softness I miss in sandwich breads.
I love some of the breads available but for me I have to avoid yeast and corn so most are out. The ones I found I can have seem more like pieces of styrofoam.
Keep up the good work!