Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Gluten-Free Recipe: Chocolate Coconut Brownie

Before getting to the recipe, I have a bit of a rant about my Internet connection...

I'm sorry I have been a bit quiet the past few days - I have been without Internet connectivity since basically Wednesday last week! Needless to say, I am behind on all sorts of things I wanted to get done, since so much of my life revolves around having the Internet available.

The "fun" started Wednesday, as Time Warner Cable started upgrading former Adelphia customers to their Roadrunner high-speed Internet. Well, I was one of the lucky people that had a five-year, nearly flawless history of high-speed Internet, with Adelphia -- and, that same 5-year history caused me issues during the conversion. I had one of the earliest cable-modems, so they had to replace it. That was done on Friday, after having no Internet last Thursday. Things were looking good it seemed, as I was back online for a 1/2 day.

Then, Saturday afternoon - gee, no Internet again! I call Adelphia/Time-Warner to find out they were performing the system-wide conversion of NE Ohio Adelphia customers - the message said "you may experience intermittent outages during the conversion, which will last between 2PM and 6PM". OK, sure. A couple hours. I can deal with that.

But, by midnight their recorded message changed to no longer include the time, but yet it still talked about how occasional outages would exist. Sunday comes - I call about it now, since it is still down. I'm told my particular modem (keep in mind it was just replaced on Friday) is one that is going to take longer to migrate - until Monday at 8AM (needless to say, I now have zero faith in such estimates).

Monday arrives - as expected, still nothing. I finally call in afternoon (to find that the Adelphia number was no longer in service, and I am redirected to a Time Warner number). I am then told the real reason my modem doesn't work. Turns out, that since the modem was replaced Friday right before the mass-conversion, my modem's address was not in the billing data automatically converted from Adelphia to Time Warner. So, they just shut it off. And, even more lovely was the fact that the tech support people could do nothing about it even though they knew why my Internet was down - all they could do was put the "issue" into a queue to be worked on by billing later that night (which, as I told the tech person, I was sure would not get done unless I was one the phone complaining).

That brings me to today - Tuesday. No Internet yet in the morning. I call again - recording "average wait times are 37-57 minutes - leave your number if you want a call back instead of holding, you won't lose your place in line". (oh, I TRIED that before yesterday,... no callback!). So, I sit on hold 1/2 hour and get a human finally. And, within 10 minutes they enter the data into the system and I am back online. Thank god! But, how ridiculous this all was.

As I told the people at Time Warner: in this day and age, I can do without my phone service, without my TV, and all sorts of other things, but I can not do without my Internet connection! And, high-speed Internet at that (I can't imagine dialup anymore - though, these past few days, it may have been better than nothing).

Gluten-Free Chocolate-Coconut Brownie Recipe

This is a recipe that I would have loved to put in our Gluten-Free Recipes book, but we didn't have it ready in time for inclusion. It is wonderful! And, it holds up quite nicely - I have allowed leftovers to sit out for a week and they were fine.

Here's a link to the recipe: Gluten-Free Recipe: Chocolate Coconut Brownie

It's got a semi-sweet, dark-chocolate flavor with hints of coconut. It's rather dense and torte-like too. Laura used some coconut flour in this recipe, along with the other gluten-free ingredients. Sorry, but this latest recipe is not dairy-free for all of you on the casein-free diet, but it is Celiac Disease safe! And, it is quite delicious.

I ate nearly the whole brownie over the period of a week. It made a good breakfast, dessert, and snack item for me :) I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!


Sheri said...

Isn't it pitiful how we are at their mercy?


Dianne said...

Mmmmmmmmm! Brownies! Now you've got my attention! Can you send me about a dozen, that should get me through the next week! MAYBE!


Lynn Barry said...

What a total nightmare...my sympathies. I hate it when I am offline for even a short time. Glad you are back up and running.
the brownie recipe sounds fantastic. Except for the sweetened condensed milk and egg I think I can pull it off...I have never found that sweet rice flour. Where do you get yours? HUGS

Mike Eberhart said...

Regarding the sweet rice (aka glutinous rice) flour... if you have access to an Asian/Indian market, they should definitely have it - though, unlikely to be certified GF.

Or, mail-order... try ener-g foods:

Hope that helps! Thanks for the encouraging words too :)

Dianne, perhaps in the distant future we'll have teleporters for such things... if so, I'll gladly send brownies to you if I'm still around :)

Gluten Free Suzi said...

The chocolate coconut brownie sounds amazing. I am going to test it out this weekend.

I share your frustration with internet connections. I am lost when mine goes down.