Saturday, February 09, 2008

Gluten-Free Wild Thymes Sauces


These various gluten-free / wheat-free dipping sauces from Wild Thymes are among my favorite GF kitchen pantry "must have" items. I get them at our local Whole Foods market, and use the sauces in a wide variety of dishes. Speaking of, as I went to take a picture of the bottles, I noticed it's time for another trip to the store, as I had just used the last of the Indian Vindaloo Curry variety!

I definitely recommend these products. We use the Garlic Thai Roasted Garlic sauce on ribs, chicken, and other things. And, the Moroccan Spicy Pepper and/or Indian Curry sauce are a regular item for me when I'm in a hurry for a healthy snack or quick meal. They add tang and taste to all sorts of dishes, and every variety I have tried is consistently wonderful and delicious!

Simple "Recipe" using these Sauces
Here's what I like as a nice quick-fix snack, lunch, side-dish:
  1. Cut up a whole Spanish onion and a couple cloves of garlic
  2. Fry those up in a pan for a few minutes, caramelizing the onion nicely
  3. Remove fried veggies to a plate, add a small (6 ounce) can of gluten-free tomato paste (I use Walmart's own brand which is clearly marked "Gluten Free" on the label)
  4. Add a few tablespoons of these spicy Wild Thymes sauces - generally the Moroccan and/or Indian type
  5. Eat!
Fast, simple, rather low-calorie, full of flavor (and Lycopene), and quite satisfying. I use this as part of my overall diet strategy, as a great way to get some vegetables into the diet (tomato and onion certainly), while leveraging the intense and wonderful flavor to fulfill any cravings that may otherwise lead me to less healthy eating options. If you don't mind the extra carbohydrates, throw some freshly cooked rice into the mix: most excellent!

I like how the Wild Thymes products exhibit superb flavor and are clearly labeled Gluten-Free, and also how their ingredients are the sames as what you would use to make your own gluten-free sauces (if time permitted), as they stick to the basics and natural items. For example, the Vindaloo has Tomato, Onion, Cider Vinegar, Olive/Canola Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Lime, Spices, salt and sugar. They keep the sodium and sugar low in general (the Thai Chili / Garlic one has a bit more sugar - as it is a sweeter variety sauce).

I hope you enjoy these products as much as I do!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

This may be a stupid question (although they do say there are no stupid questions) but are these sauces made with thyme? I am not a big fan of thyme but I guess in moderation it is ok.

Lynn Barry said...

Oh Mike...these sauces sound so good. Thanks. Hope you are well.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

What a tasty suggestion. Thanks!

Mike Eberhart said...

lynn,
I actually don't think the sauces taste like Thyme, and I don't recall seeing Thyme on the list of ingredients (perhaps it is in "spices"). If you want to see a detailed ingredient list for any given sauce, follow the link to WildThymes site, and view the sauces, then click on the nutritional-labeling close-up and you will see the full ingredient label.