Monday, November 26, 2007

Gluten Free Recipes: Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake


Gluten Free Recipes: Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake
Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake

Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake

I recently wrote a Gluten-Free Blog entry about a free Pumpkin Crème Brulée Recipe (link to full recipe) my wife made and posted online. After baking the Creme Brulee, we had a large number of egg whites remaining. So, my resourceful wife decided the best thing to do with them would be to bake up a new gluten-free Angel Food cake variation.

This is simply a variation to the existing gluten-free and dairy-free Angel Food Cake recipe in our Gluten-Free Desserts book (page 68). It removes the lemon juice/zest, and adds a bit or orange juice and almond flavoring, and of course chocolate chips (to remain dairy-free, you'll have to make sure you use dairy-free chocolate chips of course).

The detailed recipe modifications are online here:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Angel Food Cake Recipe

I really enjoyed this cake! I have always been a fan of a good Angel Food cake, and this latest chocolate chip variation was a hit with both Celiac diet people and "normal" diet folks equally. I have an admitted weakness for chocolate, so the addition of chocolate chips only accentuated my hunger for this cake!

The exceptionally mild orange/almond undertones also furthered my enjoyment. Another nice thing about Angel Food Cake (in general, whether gluten-free diet type or regular), is that they are low-fat and should have no cholesterol either (even this one variation - especially if using dairy-free chocolate chips). The cake also tends to be rather high in protein (given the large number of egg whites used).

Hope you enjoy the variation as much as I did!

Slice of Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake
Slice of Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Angel Food Cake

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks just HEAVENLY! I will have to give it a try soon.

Dianne said...

Hi Mike

I'm now beginning to wonder what an angel cake is! The ones I've seen looked like a very dry (unapetising) sponge cake. Hence angel cake has never passed my lips! This cake doesnt look anything like the cakes I've seen!

I'll have to get the book out and have a better look at the former angel cake!

Confused in England

Mike Eberhart said...

Angel Food Cake is definitely a lighter, spongier cake. It is definitely an egg-white-based and delicious cake. Not sure what is offered there in the UK, but I really would have though Angel Food was an "international standard" :)

So, give it a try - if you like it, maybe you can introduce it as a low-fat / cholesterol-free gluten-free cake for the masses in the UK! Enjoy!

Lynn Barry said...

She sure is resourceful...My goodness...that gal can create good stuff! HUGS

Mike Eberhart said...

Lynn, good to hear from you. Thanks - Laura always loves your kind words.

Sheltie Girl said...

Lovely job on the angel food cake. Mike pass on my kudos to your wife for doing so well. I'll have to give her recipe a try!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Mike Eberhart said...

Sheltie: Thanks! Laura enjoyed your comments quite a bit :)

Gluten Free In the Greens said...

Wow--I haven't had an angel food cake in years. Yours looks delicious. I'll definitely give it a try to serve to my gluten-eating friends and family who are always astounded that my food doesn't contain gluten flours. Thanks!