Monday, October 22, 2007

More Canadian Gluten-Free Recipe Books sales lately

Ah yes, the weak dollar has perhaps one subtle advantage these days -- it is making my Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes Book more affordable to the average Canadian! I have seen sales to Celiacs in Canada pick up considerably lately.

For those of you in the USA that have been under a rock lately, I'll quickly catch you up on some news: the value of the US Dollar has fallen considerably lately, which makes imported goods cost more for us in the USA, and it makes our exports cheaper for the rest of the world to buy. This shift in the value of our currency relative to other currencies, has been especially pronounced in the past year when comparing the US Dollar to the Canadian Dollar. For my entire life, the USD has always been "stronger" than the Canadian Dollar, where one of our dollars would always buy more than one of theirs. But, this has recently ceased. For the first time in a LONG time, each Canadian Dollar is worth more than one US Dollar!

As such, people in Canada are now able to purchase my gluten-free recipes book essentially at a "sale price", where it is our currency that is essentially on sale! This is also true for people most anywhere else around the world -- like, in the United Kingdom (UK) where the British Pound has also posted strong gains against the dollar, and in the "Euro-Zone" (e.g., Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, Ireland, France, etc.) where the Euro has hit a record high against the US dollar.

Sadly, though this may seem like a blessing to me with regards to selling Coeliac-Disease-safe recipe books to the world, I do not think it is a good thing for the USA long-term. Fact is, we love our imported goods, and when our dollar goes down, imports cost more. So many of our favorite gluten-free foods come from around the world - especially when such foods are out-of-season here in the States - that these dietary staples for us gluten-free folks are going to cost more. Things like fresh fruits and vegetables during the Winter months are bound to go up in price here. Other favorites (for me at least) include Chocolate and Coffee and many other foreign-sourced items that will undoubtedly rise in price. And, no matter how many gluten-free books I sell outside this country, I doubt I will make enough gains there to cover the increased costs of my food bills here.

Back here in the USA, would you be interested to know which States seem to have the most Celiac Disease sufferers per capita (at least using my own unscientific data of gluten-free book sales per State)? I know such data would be nearly meaningless, because it would more reflect the number of gluten-free bakers with disposable income than anything. I say this because the top State to-date (for sales) is definitely Massachusetts. Other East-Coast States are close behind, Chicago-land is rather high up the list, and surprisingly one of the lowest States for sales (certainly when comparing population to sales volume) is California.

I never would have guessed this at the beginning of this year when I first started selling the cookbook. I presumed the West-Coast (California, Oregon, Washington) would have held more people with Celiac Disease that would also be interested in baking at home - just considering population and statistics. Maybe those States do, and I just don't know how to reach them. But, either way, I find the sales-trends rather intriguing, whether from Canada or here in the good old United States.

3 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Mike,
I love your posts on trends in your book sales. It does my accountants heart good =)

Dianne said...

Swings and roundabouts then! Nice to hear that the book is doing well, but an increase in prices generally due to exchange rates may not be so welcome

I imagine tourism and christmas shopping sprees to the US are doing well right now

:)

Mike Eberhart said...

Mary,
Always glad to help - even accountants! :)

Dianne, at least from your side of the pond, the price is decreasing as your British currency beats up on the dollar. And, perhaps that is all the excuse you need for a shopping trip to the US.