Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Happy Fourth of July!

I hope everyone has a great Fourth of July holiday, filled with gluten-free foods and plenty of fun and relaxation!

I've acquired some of my favorite gluten-free treats for the event - including fresh watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon (all of these are great for a warm-weather fruit salad). Perhaps a rice-pasta macaroni salad will accompany this as the main course for the day, or perhaps a cold pesto-pasta salad.

Finally, I hope everyone also has a safe holiday and avoids the temptation to set off a bunch of fireworks. I don't want to be a complainer or overbearing adviser when it comes to fireworks, but having just watched the national news talk about how 2/3 of this nation is under drought conditions, and that fireworks could spark a whole new wave of wildfires (not to mention injuries), I can only wish for the best.


Ginger said...

Since you mentioned pasta salads, do you have a trick for having your pasta salad be just as tasty the next day? The GF varieties I have used turn nice and hard the next day, just like brown rice would. Maybe I need to over cook them a bit. Typically for a pasta salad, I under cook them just a bit so they have room to adsorb the sauce. I have been using Trader Joe's brown rice penne and a corn elbow pasta. Not sure if I have used Tinkyada for salads.

Mike Eberhart said...

Ginger, I know what you mean about how the rice pastas can end up hard the next day. I'm quite familiar with the Trader Joe's brown-rice penne, since I use that ALL the time too.

I've noticed that certain gluten-free pasta salads hold up better than others. E.g., the mayo-based salads seem to hold moisture well, as do some based on Italian dressings. But, pesto type ones tend to dry up from day to day more. I think the best thing to do is simply cook the rice pasta further than you otherwise would if you plan to keep it around for more than one day. Or, introduce additional moisture into the mix if possible.