Thursday, June 07, 2007

Gluten-Free Father's Day - early

Father's Day came a bit early for me this year, thanks to the timing of some birthdays in the family, and some schedules that just made things much easier to get people together earlier rather than waiting til Sunday. And, my wife was nice enough to bake a gluten-free Carrot Cake (picture on 2nd page of that PDF) for my father, of which I too was the beneficiary. This cake has always been a hit, whether we serve it to those with Celiac Disease, or to the general population.

The cake didn't last long: it was baked yesterday, and only a single small piece remains today (and, I guarantee that piece will be gone by this evening). I found the rate of consumption rather entertaining, after reading a book-review someone recently wrote about our gluten-free desserts book and their own experience with the carrot-cake and how they thought it was so large it couldn't possibly be eaten at one event. Well, perhaps we just had more people eating it at once, or perhaps we just eat more than we should at once, or maybe a combination of the two. One way or the other, it goes quickly around here.

I've been neglecting the gluten-free blog a bit this week, as for some reason I have just been busy more than I like to be, and the summer weather always makes it more tempting to get outside and enjoy the warmth versus sitting down on the computer to write a blog entry. Then, things like mowing the yard seem to eat up the hours (especially when my tractor refuses to start and the push mower is my only option).

But, I do have some planned gluten-free blog posts in the near future, with one being a newly updated gluten-free bread recipe that my wife has been tuning. She has improved the longevity of the bread, and made other slight, but noteworthy, changes. So, stay tuned, and I'll get to such things - most likely when it's raining or too hot outside to enjoy.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Mmmmm! I love carrot cake!

:)