Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Allocating my time

I really like writing my gluten-free blog entries, and I always feel like I am ignoring my duties when I don't post something on here every few days or so. I am just lately feeling utterly swamped with all sorts of things going on, and not things that have anything to do with the latest gluten-free recipes, book sales, or product reviews.

I did have time to try out the Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles (a soft cookie), which I was generally OK with -- it's not a gourmet homemade cookie or anything, but it is much better than I expected it would be. Considering it's allergen-free, I'd say the company did an admirable job on this product. I'll try to write a more thorough review in the near future. Same with an assessment of Blue Diamond's Almond Thins - which I like and plan to write more about. And a few other products I wanted to mention will also have to wait a bit.

Instead, I have been in "learning mode" and "business mode" again. For the past couple years, I have basically stepped back from my normal line of business as I focused all my efforts on learning about Celiac Disease and gluten-free baking, publishing the Gluten-Free Desserts book, and promoting it. But, lately, now that the main effort behind making the book real is done - the recipes development, and the book authoring - I have been spending more time getting back in to the software and technology aspects of my life, something I have enjoyed and been involved with since I was 13 years old.

And, helping to push me back in that direction was a call I received last week from someone I know that is trying to launch a startup venture in the Technology field. After a series of discussions, I was recruited for the position of Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, which should certainly give me plenty to keep busy with for a while - oh, I forgot to mention, I said "sure".

Why not, I figured? Right now I have more time on my hands than I ever have before, and perhaps it is all that extra time that has led to feeling the entrepreneurial "itch" setting in again. I get a thrill out of building businesses, and the way I see it, there's nothing to be lost aside from some time and effort seeing if I can help launch another successful Technology company. I also really enjoy learning about all sorts of new things, from software products to business processes, so this will be a great way to stimulate the brain cells a bit too.

I have already made it clear to others involved that I have an obligation to my gluten-free pursuits, since that is a major long-term focus for me, and a major part of my life now that I must stick to a gluten-free diet and lifestyle. In fact, this should be interesting as I try to make sure any company meetings I attend accommodate my dietary requirements. In fact, with time permitting, I'll try to introduce others to the gluten-free way by baking some foods to share during gatherings. I'll have a whole new set of "product testers" (or guinea pigs perhaps) available to try the latest recipes on :)

So, I may not be as active as I have been on my blogging, but I am still going to try to keep posting noteworthy gluten-free and celiac articles at least a couple times a week. And, I have been working on a neat little piece of software I plan to demo to all my readers soon -- a nice little Celiac and gluten-free news aggregator to put all the latest information on our favorite topic all in one place. I had a friend build the "guts" of the product, and I just need to wire it up and turn it on. So, look for that in the coming weeks too. I think it'll be rather useful for me and anyone else who likes to keep up on what's happening with CD and gluten-intolerance.

And, finally, we have weather warm enough here (in Cleveland) to melt some of this ridiculous accumulation of snow! In fact, I even got to stand outside without a jacket on and soak up some sunshine for a few minutes. Most excellent! Perhaps the groundhog is right and Spring will come early? I'm all for it!

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Mike, congratulations on your new venture!

Can't wait to see this new "thing" you have planned for us.

Jean Layton-GF Momma said...

Mike,
You are an inspiration. I love that you mutual passions can join and develop into a benefit for more people that need the information that is so exhausting to find piecemeal.
Please let me know when your aggregator comes on line.
I will continue to check your blog for progress.

Lynn Barry said...

Mike,
I can sense your enthusiasm via cyberspace. Congratulations! You are now going to take your spirit to educate the world about gluten intolerance to the business community and will be able to influence more lives in addition to the ones you continue to affect here. Good luck! You have and continue to help me all the time. Thanks, my friend...my first GF friend here at blogspot. :)Hugs

Mike Eberhart said...

Thanks everyone! I think I can balance both aspects of my life - you all will be the judges of that as time moves forward :)

I will certainly announce the news aggregator "thing" when it is ready. It shouldn't be too much longer if I can just get about 8 hours or so allocated to finishing it up.

Slacker Mom said...

Hello, I have been a recent reader to your blog, and I am so glad that you will keep it up. Thank you!

And, good luck with your new venture.
:)

Mike Eberhart said...

Slacker Mom, nice to hear I have some readers :) That always gives me inspiration! Thanks.

And, as I said, the whole gluten-free thing is just too big a part of my life to ignore (since I'm "stuck" with it as we all are), so I'm undoubtedly going to still keep this blog active - though perhaps a bit slower pace than I have been, at least while during the busy times.

Meesh said...

Yippy - software for me!

Looking forward to your new chapter of your balanced life!