Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Winter wonderland, and glutenfree recipe roundup

We finally have snow here in Cleveland, Ohio, and the scenery is wonderful right now. Though hard to tell in this small picture, it was snowing while the sun was out. We have the regional lake-effect snow bands around here, and the sky can change from sun to snow nearly instantly as the winds over Lake Erie shift. I snapped this picture of my neighbor's back yard barn with the afternoon sun over it right as a new band of snow settled in on us. Had I waited another few minutes, it would have been a near white-out, though about the same time the local white-tailed deer herd came out to frolic and chase one another around the yards as they like to do (especially the younger members of the group). Ah, yes, winter has finally arrived - a bit late, but as I remember it.

One nice thing about the cooler temperatures and inclement weather is how it basically forces us to stay indoors more, which leads to us spending more time in the kitchen trying out some new gluten-free recipe creations. And, I have a feeling many persons will be thankful for this snowstorm once they get hold of Laura's latest creation: a gluten-free herbed French Baguette that is nothing short of amazing!

She formed this recipe into a batch of 9 mini-baguettes to make sure they came out as desired before forming some full-sized loafs. And, oh did they turn out great! Excellent crunchy crust coupled with a soft and spongy center, with perfect flavor and texture to match. The mild scent of herbs was wafting upward from the loaves through the slightest bit of steam emitted as they cooled. I couldn't take it... my patience was tested, and I don't think I passed the test. :)

I consumed about half of the loaves the recipe made. I ate the first ones while they were still warm - though, I did wait long enough they didn't burn my tongue. I of course then had to try the cool ones to make sure they were fine too. And, just to be sure, I decided to also slice up one of the loafs and make some broiled garlic bread - which, just had to be consumed immediately to make sure it didn't go to waste. It's times like this I don't mind being an official taste-tester! Bring on the great bread - I can eat quite a bit of it.

I'll be posting the recipe soon. We tried to accommodate as many people as possible by making it dairy-free as well as glutenfree. Celiac-safe baguettes are only a few days away, and I will have the recipe online in time for the next weekly recipe roundup.

Which brings me to the next topic: that weekly recipe roundup. If you do not already know this,
Gluten-Free-Bay (blog) features a semi-weekly gluten-free recipe roundup. This week's GF recipe roundup featured our gluten-free traditional thick-crust pizza crust recipe Laura created (including a picture of it). I like this recipe roundup that GF-Bay does, since it gives people a nice place to get a quick summary of what is going on in the gluten-free baking community.

Have fun baking those wonderful gluten-free recipes that we, and others, have placed online. And, get ready for Laura's incredible French Baguettes recipe that I will post within the next week.

No comments: