Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Brown Honey Bread


Laura's Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free Brown Bread (with Honey Accents)

Another Holiday Gluten-Free Recipe : Brown Bread

The holiday break afforded my wife the opportunity to do quite a bit of baking and developing new recipes. The above pictured Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Brown Bread with Honey Accent is one of the winners that emerged from the kitchen during the past couple weeks. It has been through the taste-testing and confirmation phase now, both here at home and having been served in a rosemary/garlic variation for a Christmas dinner among other things.

This bread has a wonderful "honey wheat bread" flavor and texture, and is great for sandwiches, toast, French-toast, and so forth. We sprinkle the top with whole buckwheat kernels prior to baking, just for a little something extra. If you have an event coming up where you want to serve a great tasting gluten free bread, bake this bread recipe a few hours before the event and you will be sure to have a fresh-out-of-the-oven hit with your guests (and, chances are, most people will not even have a clue it is gluten-free). As I mentioned earlier, the bread lends itself to some rather easy variations — one being the rosemary/garlic version we served for Christmas (If anyone wants the exact formula, let me know and I will see if my wife kept the formulation written down somewhere). So, have fun with changing it up a little if you want a slightly different accent flavor.

The GF bread uses a variety of healthier and nutritious gluten-free grains, including: teff, buckwheat, and flax. So, if you have these grains/seeds nearby and wanted a recipe to use them in, here you go.

More recipes are on the way in upcoming blog entries for 2007!  And, be sure to check out the recipes at my cookbook website (link below).

Continue to read this Gluten-Free Blog for all sorts of gluten-free recipes, product-reviews, and related information. In addition, visit my Gluten-Free Recipes Site where many of the recipes I have featured on this blog are available.

3 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

What an absolutely gorgeous loaf of bread. I discovered that I really can't tolerate eggs and yeast, along with gluten, casein, corn and soy, so I am sticking close to what works for me. I wish this would work, but that's life. It sure looks yummy. I know lots of folks are going to want to use this recipe.
Is this weather great, or what? At least here it is...sunny and springlike.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mike Eberhart said...

Lynn, yes the weather here is also nearly springlike... so strange for this time of year in Cleveland. Sorry to hear you can't tolerate the eggs, corn, soy, etc. etc. Wow, that must make things a bit tough to say the least! My wife has really been trying to make quite a few things dairy-free lately to help persons like you, but I'm not sure she'll go as far as to make free of every allergen. :) Enjoy that wonderful spring-like weather!

Lynn Barry said...

Don't you worry about me. I appreciate your wife trying to make things dairy free for those who not only can't tolerate gluten but dairy (casein) as well. I suspect that is true of many, and especially people with autism. Good work!