Friday, December 01, 2006

So close, but yet so...



OK, bad news is no books today (as expected). GOOD NEWS: I now am in contact with Cleveland warehouse -- they have the books! They are delivering to me Monday. Funny thing is they are literally a block away from a friend's house that I am going to visit today. I could walk from my friend's house to pick them up, but I have no vehicle capable of handling 3 tons of books. I tried to get the shipping company to allow me to pick up a few boxes today, but as expected, they won't let me take a partial load.

So, the timeframe SHOULD now be a definite one. From here on I am to deal with Cleveland people (no more LA contacts), and, they better not let me down! Though, chances are we will have snow Monday, which will make moving the books more fun. Of course, the entire week they were supposed to be here the weather was wonderful - sunny and 60's! Arghhhh.

I think I can relax a bit now at least. Just knowing my gluten-free cookbooks are within 10 miles of me makes me feel much better.

I am celebrating with a wonderful Glutino Sans Gluten Sesame Bagel (pictured above), with some Roasted-Almond Butter - I definitely recommend these bagels. I prefer them toasted (like many GF products), but the textures and such is really pretty decent when toasted. It's not a Panera Bread fresh bagel by any means, but it probably isn't that much different than a normal frozen bagel. These glutenfree bagels hold up rather well in the fridge too -- in fact, I have had this one in there for at least 4 or 5 weeks, and it was fine toasted.

I have been contemplating a book-launch party for sometime in the next couple weeks. We have quite a few friends, family, neighbors, and acquaintances that were involved in our recipe trials and such, that is just seems appropriate to have some kind of celebration and get-together. I have a feeling this is going to be a challenge when competing against all the company Christmas parties and the like. Worst case is I can push it off until January I guess.

And, I see I now have a tree I need to deal with -- the winds ahead of this inbound snowstorm just blew a good sized tree in our yard over (snapped it off) and it is laying mostly in our neighbors back yard. The tree has been dead for a year, so I guess it is not too surprising even though it was a foot thick. All sorts of excitement today! Good thing no persons or objects were in the way of its fall. On the upside, I guess I'll have some firewood for the party!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Hold on, Mike! You're almost there. And you'll be so excited when you are finally holding the books in your hands. Have a party, indeed!

Mike Eberhart said...

Shauna, you are so right. I am almost there. I guess it all works out in an odd way, since my wife is snowed in out at Chicago, and she wouldn't have been back here in Cleveland today for the much anticipated cookbooks arrival. Now she can participate come Monday.

I think you are right -- definitely should have a party. I just need to find a date/time soon where everyone isn't tied up with holiday events. Maybe the promise of some fresh baked gluten free desserts will be enough to lure the masses in. :)

Shannon said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! You must be so excited. A party is definitly in order.

Hey, your wife is out by me. This weather here is horrible. We went from 60 degrees down to the teens this weekend. I was downtown on Tuesday in a long sleeve t-shirt. Last night it was snow gear. Brace yourself for it!!!

Mike Eberhart said...

Shannon - we've already dropped below the freezing point here now too; just like Chicago, we too were in the 60's for over a week prior to this cold snap.

At least it sounds like Chicago air-travel is going to be a bit smoother by tomorrow, which should get my wife back to Cleveland without horrible delays like existed yesterday and before.

Enjoy the cold, and just tell yourself how nice the temperatures are compared to January. :)

Lynn Barry said...

I love the book party. You should plan it for anytime, people are used to partying this time of year, then again January might be the right time after all the hoopla has died down. Good idea! Celebrate!