Saturday, October 14, 2006

Blood Sucking, but not on Friday the 13th...

I just missed having my blood "sucked" on that ever-so-popular day of supposed bad luck day (Friday the 13th); instead I had it done this morning of the 14th. The yearly bloodwork was due, so first thing this morning, after a mini-fasting over night, they drew the vials of blood for things like CBC, Fe, Lipid, Thyroid, Hemoglobin, and metabolic panel. What a wonderful way to start the morning! Actually, I don't so much mind the procedure, especially when I get the regular guy that does the actual needle-puncture in the arm -- this guy is nothing short of an artist with the needle; he always hits on the first try, and I hardly feel more than a sharp pinching for a split-second.

Too bad results are not "instant" in this day of instant everything. I would love to just get the results right there and then, especially when I am curious about how my iron levels are these days, and how my red-count is. Those two tests seem to correlate closely with how well I've done on my gluten free diet, since I was anemic prior to going GF. Also, should be interesting to see how my lipids (cholestorol, HDL/LDL) are after just finishing creating the gluten free desserts book -- yes, I ate much too much of those calorie and fat filled delights during the creation... someone had to! :)

I guess I will have to wait a few days to see what those tests show. And, if prior experience serves as an indication of what to expect, I will have to call and remind the doctor to send me a copy of the results -- since, no matter how many times I ask them to send me the results, and they tell me they will, I nearly ALWAYS have to call and ask again.

In the mean time, I'm thinking about making some pumpkin cookies or perhaps a new pumpkin-based recipe in the next few days. All this talk of pumpkin over on Lynn's blog recently made me have a taste for something good with pumpkin in it. And, I still have pumpkins to carve for Halloween (though, I admit, I am taking the easy route and using canned pumpkin for my recipes whether a fresh pumkin is near or not).


Lynn Barry said...

Hey thanks my friend. How do I add you to my site? I have not figured that out yet.
I froze my pumpkin chocolate cookies and pop them out when I need a pumpkin fix.
Hope the blood test results in a comment that "everything is fine"...enjoy your day.

Mike Eberhart said...

Lynn, I'm sending you an email to describe the process of putting links onto your blogger site. Hopefully the instructions will make sense :)

Yeah, I want the test results to show that my diet is effective in so much as not showing any major deficiencies or such from being gluten-free.